Scarecrows in the Village
September 9 - October 27
Celebrating 40 years of Scarecrows in the Village
Carry on a tradition or start a new one by creating your own scarecrow in this one-of-a-kind event. Showcase your stuff(ing) in one of six categories. Entries will be on display from September 9 – October 27. The public will vote on which scarecrows will win a prize!
Pay homage to the scarecrows that have been “scaring crows” from farmers’ fields for centuries in this category. Utilize old cloth, straw, and natural supplies.
Create a scarecrow interpretation of your favorite book, television or movie character: human, animal or animated!
Ideas: Historical figure, Disney character, superhero or villain
“It’s Alive!” Create a scarecrow that scares.
Ideas: You’re only limited by your darkest nightmares.
To trash, or not to trash? Repurpose and reimagine found objects into a scarecrow that is more than its parts.
Ideas: Stuff a scarecrow with plastic bags instead of straw, use that old bicycle in your garage
Show us your pink scarecrows to promote breast cancer awareness.
Ideas: Anything from personal heroes to animals as long as they’re pink!
Peddler’s Village is proud to support Pine2Pink benefitting local breast cancer patients in treatment and recovery.
This category is for our 12-and-under guests. Have your child create a scarecrow that he or she would love!
Ideas: Favorite Superhero, Princess, or Cartoon Character
1st Place: $250
2nd Place: $175
3rd Place: $125
4th Place: $75
(2) Honorable Mentions: Apple Festival Package
Kid’s Only Category winners receive:
1st Place: 4 Activity Passes, 1 Pizza Pie, 4 Refillable Soft Drinks
2nd Place: 4 Activity Passes, 4 Pizza Slices, 500 Prize Tickets
3rd Place: 2 Activity Passes, 1000 Prize Tickets
Grand Prize: One overall winner will be picked out of the entries to be displayed in a special viewing area! This scarecrow will be judged on overall creativity, craftsmanship, adherence to category theme and wow factor. PRIZE: $350 · Dinner for 4 at Cock ‘n Bull
Winners will be posted online on October 18, 2019. Prizes will be mailed following the competition. Each of the six categories will have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and 4th place (Kids only! does not have a 4th place).
The public will vote on their favorite entries from September 9 – October 7. Ballots are available in all shops and restaurants. Please drop your completed submission in ballot boxes located in the Cock ‘n Bull, Giggleberry Fair Indoor Family Fun Center, Buttonwood Grill and
at our Hospitality Center.
Scarecrow Check-In will occur on Sunday, September 8, 2019 between 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Additional details, including hours and location, will be provided after registration. A weatherproof sign with the name of your entry will be provided at check-in. Please attach it to the lower part of your scarecrow or stand.
Scarecrows may be picked up on Sunday, October 27, 2019 from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Any scarecrows that are not claimed by Tuesday, October 29, 2019, and whose creator(s) have not arranged for alternate pick-up arrangements will become the property of Peddler’s Village.
Enter the Competition
Dos & Don’ts
- Scarecrows in the Village is a family-friendly show. Peddler’s Village reserves the right not to display an entry that is deemed offensive, controversial, inappropriate, religious, political, or poorly constructed and may remove entries based on guest complaints or damage.
- Each group or individual may enter only one scarecrow per category, but may enter more than one category. Please complete one entry form per scarecrow.
- Scarecrows must be built on a 1-1/2″ square post. When you drop off your scarecrow, Peddler’s Village will provide a pipe secured in the ground at your display location for you to insert your post. Only one pipe per entry is supplied. The pipe is approximately 12″ – 18″ long, so make sure to start your creation 20″ up from the bottom of your post!
- No part of your display may touch the ground. No materials may be placed on the ground under or around your scarecrow. Our greens are maintained year-round, and mowing and landscaping will occur around scarecrow displays.
- Your scarecrow must be weather-resistant and sturdy in order to qualify for displaying and judging. We strongly encourage entrants to visit their scarecrows in the Village for periodic check-ins. During the time that your entry is on display, you may make any necessary repairs to keep your scarecrow looking its very best. Peddler’s Village reserves the right to remove any scarecrows that deteriorate due to weather.
- No perishable goods may be used in the construction of your scarecrow, including pumpkins, squash and other plants.
- Scarecrow entries that are removed from Peddler’s Village by the entrant prior to the close of the display will forfeit eligibility to win prizes. Eligibility to enter the Scarecrow Competition for the coming year will also be forfeited.
- Peddler’s Village is not responsible for any scarecrows on display.
– A strong idea is key. Sometimes the best entries are the simplest, yet most recognizable.
– Craftsmanship can make or break the overall look of a project.
– Stuff your straw into pantyhose to keep it in one place! Experts can sew the pantyhose for shaping.
– Weatherproofing: Your scarecrows will have prolonged exposure to all kinds of weather. Make sure to seal porous materials, such as papier-mâché, with a water-repellent spray (3M or Scotchguard)